Well, I have had some time to start reading and reviewing the Dark Angels book and figure now is a good time to start with early impressions.
Here is what Dark Angel players can expect:
- Eight new units.
- Updated fluff and lots of eye candy artwork
- Scouts in Troops Slots again
- Heavy Weapon or Special Weapon for every 5 Tactical Marines
- Flak missiles in all units with Missile Launcher options.
- Several Character buffs (slightly cheaper also)
- Lots of defensive wargear for characters and units.
- Banners are like Icons in the Chaos Codex.
- Chapter Relics (nothing very impressive, most stuff is just ok)
- No special vehicle equipment.
- Terminator Squads can be 5-10 in unit size.
- Ravenwing no longer Fearless (replaced by Grim Resolve)
- No unique psychic powers (except for Ezekiel)
Compared to the Chaos Codex is clearly the anti-Chaos Codex the way hot it was written but lacks some of the special flair that the Chaos Codex got. Sure, there are several amazing looking models but nothing special rules wise that is amazing. I have mixed feelings about the book, not as happy as I am with how they treated the Chaos Codex but overall it is a well done book.